Turning 31

So, today I'm 31 years old. And I love it. I have never understood why people dread getting older...I've never been one of those people. My best friend was teasing me saying she was glad I was going first, and then commented that she's not where she thought she would be at this age. I responded with "Who is? We plan, and God laughs." I've definitely found that to be true, and I've also found that God's plans are much, much, MUCH better than mine.

I went to bed very early last night and slept in until 10:30 this morning. Fortunately, my toes have returned to their normal size. My polish had chipped, so I took on the seemingly impossible task of taking the polish off.... bending is not happening very easily these days. Ethan had to help me put my shoes on and tie them all weekend in New York. Good thing I've taken yoga and Pilates, since I had to contort myself into some very pretzel-like positions in order to reach my toes without smushing the bump!

When I got up, my phone was flooded with over 20 texts and 40+ emails from people wishing me a Happy Birthday. I was a little shocked that so many people took the time to send me a personal message...although since I've disabled posting on my Facebook wall, they didn't have much of a choice if they wanted to wish me one! Around 11 am, my phone started ringing from a number I didn't recognize so I declined the call. They kept calling, and I declined it 4 times. Anyone who knows me knows not to call...anyway, the number sent a text message saying "I'm trying to make a flower delivery here!" Oops! Glad the delivery person texted.... otherwise I wouldn't have gotten my birthday flowers!


Birthday flowers from my in-laws, Mike & Toni.

I went to work as usual today, and ended up taking Mo to soccer practice since her parents had a school meeting. Normally I'm off work by 5 on Tuesdays, but not today. Soccer ended early due to pouring rain, so I was off at 6 PM, which is what I'm paid to work until anyway!

Ethan made dinner reservations at my favorite restaurant, two.urban licks. The New York trip was not a birthday trip. I go every 3-4 months to see my friends, and convinced Ethan to come along on this one since it was our last trip together before we're parents. (but it wasn't a "babymoon" either - just a fun getaway)

Before we left, he surprised me with a birthday gift that I love...he actually bought it a few months ago, and had been saying how excited he was about giving it to me since then. He wanted to give it to me before we left for our trip, but I'm a stickler for celebrating birthdays on the actual day and well....we all know how much I LOVE surprises! :) I opened the card first which was really sweet, and said that he loved making memories with me and couldn't wait to make memories with our children. I was wondering what on earth was in the box since his cards usually have clues...When I opened the present, I found a mini Toshiba video camera!!!!! It even came with a tiny little tripod which will come in handy when we tape Baby Ridge tasting solids for the first time or smashing into their first birthday cake...


I am SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!! The video camera records in 1080p (high definition), and I know Ethan did tons of research before deciding on his final choice. He always does an amazing job with my presents.... he never buys anything that I ask for or that I'm expecting, and it is always perfect. I don't know how he does it! I was squealing with glee... Baby Ridge is not going to have a single milestone left unrecorded because I will have the camera with me everywhere we go. My parents were lucky enough to have access to video recording technology when I was a baby throughout my life, so there is actually film that exists of me at my first birthday. Sadly, Ethan doesn't have any videos of him as a kid that he's aware of. I so wish I could see him as a child in "real life" since pictures don't really capture personality and quirks like video recordings do.

We then headed to dinner, and we ordered the lamb lollipops for our appetizer. I had scallops on a bed of gouda grits.... delicious. Ethan ordered BBQ rotisserie chicken with a side of mac 'n cheese (which I may or may not have helped him eat, haha). After dinner, we headed to Dairy Queen for dessert.... Oreo and chocolate chip cookie dough Blizzard for me, chocolate dipped ice cream cone for him.

So, I had a great 31st birthday.... I have the best husband in the world. I'm going to go snuggle up with him now and watch a movie!

Comments

Popular Posts