Doula is hired!
Tonight we met with Alice, our second option for a doula that we had chosen. Within 30 seconds I knew she was the one, no questions asked. I'm just one of those people that is nice to pretty much everybody (and so is Ethan), but we can determine if someone is a person we want to know in less than a minute. I guess because of our jobs... and the fact that we're both very black and white in how we see things... neither of us are time wasters. Let's keep it straight and to the point...I have no time or patience for beating around the bush. I loved that she had four children of her own and waited to find out the sex of each until birth, and that she's been doing this for six years. She has a really easy going personality and we agree with each other on everything when it comes to labor and birth. Perfect match for us! The other doula we met was nice but just didn't have the instant personality mesh that we were looking for. Ethan also really liked Alice (which was super important to me since they'll be working together to support me), so we hired her at the end of our meeting. We are so looking forward to working with her! It's great to get that checked off our list.
My first day back to work was awesome. I've never been one to hit the snooze button on my alarm, but it was definitely not the most fun waking up at 7:30 this morning. I did jump right out of bed and get ready for work, but I don't think I really "woke up" until 10:30. At 2 PM I was having the worst afternoon slump, but I'm sure I will adjust in a few days. I'm not even sure I can call my new job "work".... all I did was have fun and play all day. I'm learning a lot about how the brains of 7 year old girls work...it's definitely hilarious at times. Other times I shake my head and wonder how my parents survived with two girls! I did not get one single text message from either of her parents and was able to focus on my day with her and making sure she was safe and having fun. I can honestly say that this is the the most low-key job that I've ever had. Going from three kids under the age of five to one child who is seven is a totally different ball game. No diapers, no laundry, no household management....it's sooooo nice. I'm just thankful that I'm feeling great these days and can keep her busy AND keep up with her at the same time! Moira told me today that her old nanny used to put her phone on her stomach when the baby would kick and you could see the phone move up and down. Baby Ridge started kicking really hard while I was sitting on the couch, so I decided to try it... and sure enough, I watched the phone move up and down...it was wild!
Time for me to go to bed...I have a feeling that falling and staying asleep won't be much of a challenge tonight!
My first day back to work was awesome. I've never been one to hit the snooze button on my alarm, but it was definitely not the most fun waking up at 7:30 this morning. I did jump right out of bed and get ready for work, but I don't think I really "woke up" until 10:30. At 2 PM I was having the worst afternoon slump, but I'm sure I will adjust in a few days. I'm not even sure I can call my new job "work".... all I did was have fun and play all day. I'm learning a lot about how the brains of 7 year old girls work...it's definitely hilarious at times. Other times I shake my head and wonder how my parents survived with two girls! I did not get one single text message from either of her parents and was able to focus on my day with her and making sure she was safe and having fun. I can honestly say that this is the the most low-key job that I've ever had. Going from three kids under the age of five to one child who is seven is a totally different ball game. No diapers, no laundry, no household management....it's sooooo nice. I'm just thankful that I'm feeling great these days and can keep her busy AND keep up with her at the same time! Moira told me today that her old nanny used to put her phone on her stomach when the baby would kick and you could see the phone move up and down. Baby Ridge started kicking really hard while I was sitting on the couch, so I decided to try it... and sure enough, I watched the phone move up and down...it was wild!
Time for me to go to bed...I have a feeling that falling and staying asleep won't be much of a challenge tonight!

Comments