Weekend so far....

Yesterday was busy, busy, busy! We went to have lunch with Jenny, and she brought delicious salads with chicken salad from Cafe at Pharr for us to enjoy. We had such a great time visiting with her and I'm pretty sure she enjoyed snuggling Lily!


Lily didn't have any complaints. Unfortunately, the kids were all at school - but Ethan and I will take Lily over there on a Sunday sometime soon when they let us know their schedule. With four kids, they're a busy family!

After we left Jenny's, we went to Lenox Square so I could pick up a birthday gift for a friend. We also stopped in Pottery Barn Kids and I picked up one of my favorite books for kids, Eric Carle's ABC flashcards (never too early to start literacy studies!), and the cutest bunny rabbit hooded towel with floppy little ears. The best part? All free, thanks to $100 in gift cards that I randomly won shopping with my American Express card over the holidays. Works for me - and I still have credit left. We also stopped in Baby Gap and I picked up a couple of 0-3 month sleepers that were on clearance. Lily has a long torso just like her dad and I - so she's outgrown her newborn sleepers length-wise, but the 0-3 month clothing is too big around her waist. Baby Gap makes narrower clothing, so those sleepers work great for her, and she can fully extend her legs in them. We already have an entire bag full of clothes she has outgrown. She is getting big! I was totally exhausted after being out all day from 10 AM to 4ish PM, so we were all glad to get home and just chill for the rest of the night. Erica whipped up a ham and cheese omelette for me for dinner, which was quite delicious.

Today was much more low key. Erica took Lily for her 7:45 AM feeding so that I could sleep in until 9:30, which was much needed! After that, I headed to do some grocery shopping for dinner tonight, and for the supplies I needed to make Ethan's birthday cake. Those of you who know me well are aware that I have Wilton cake decorating certification. You also know it's been years since I've made one of my cakes. I'm happy to report that they still taste amazing. I need to practice more often though - my icing penmanship is not the greatest, but I can still handle working with buttercream for the frosting and basic borders. (Yes, I made and colored the buttercream all from scratch, thank you very much). Ethan requested that I use my new KitchenAid mixer to make something and mentioned he really wanted one of my cakes. I told him he was crazy because of how time intensive it is to make - but then it occurred to me that I had the time with Erica here to help manage Lily. So I went for it! Erica snapped photos with her iPhone as I made it.

Making the buttercream

Frosting the cake

Ethan closed his eyes for the presentation
(but he already knew I'd made it due to his ridiculous investigative skills.
::sigh::
It didn't help that the house smelled like delicious cake either.

Tomorrow we're making sugar cookies... we saw them on America's Test Kitchen while watching TV today and our interest was piqued. I'm sure I'll post about that little experiment tomorow along with Lily's SIX WEEK (what?!) picture.

Time for me to go and fold some laundry before heading to bed!

Comments

Popular Posts