First midwife appointment
So, my first midwife appointment was today. It was actually scheduled for 5 PM, but they called Ethan at 3 and asked if I could go ahead and come on in since they had a couple of cancellations. I jumped in my car and drove down there (it's only 3 miles away) and began the long process of filling out all the forms and necessary intake paperwork. I told Ethan not to bother coming because I knew that the appointment was going to be (a) boring and (b) pointless for Ethan to come to. They did listen for the heartbeat, which I heard as well - but we can hear that anytime at home, so that's not a big deal. After over 2 hours there, I was very glad that I had told Ethan not to come. I will not be dragging him along to any of my other appointments. The only one that I will have him come to will be the 20 week anatomy scan, but the others I can handle on my own. I'm a big girl. ;)
Anyway, I met two of the midwives, and will meet the third one at some point during the remainder of my pregnancy. I really like the office staff and the two midwives that I've met, and I know that I made the right decision to go with a midwife instead of an OB. The difference between my OB and midwife visits is absolutely ASTOUNDING. Midwives spend so much more time with you and get to know you as a person, whereas my experience with OB's has been rushed and they only spend about 5 minutes (if that) interacting with you. Additionally, my midwife will be present for my entire labor, unlike an OB who only comes in every once in a while and/or right at the last moment. So I'm very glad about all of that! I was also informed that I am the perfect pregnant person .... and that the world will probably not notice that I'm pregnant until THIRTY WEEKS! I wonder if I should keep this pregnancy under wraps until 30 weeks? Just kidding guys.... I'm sure it's going to be a shock enough for people to find out that I'm already in the second trimester when we inform them!
They also refilled my Zofran and warned that my pregnancy nausea might continue as late as 18 weeks or for the remainder of my pregnancy.... (oh joy!) but we'll just have to see. I've tried to not take it on some days and I start feeling very sick. As soon as I take it, it's amazing how much better I feel because there's no nausea within 30 minutes of the tablet dissolving. So I have a 30 day supply with 2 refills.
We also registered for our natural childbirth prep class, our waterbirth prep class, and the hospital tour in August and September, so we're all squared away there!
So all in all, a good day. My next appointment is in 4 weeks, at almost 17 weeks pregnant.
Anyway, I met two of the midwives, and will meet the third one at some point during the remainder of my pregnancy. I really like the office staff and the two midwives that I've met, and I know that I made the right decision to go with a midwife instead of an OB. The difference between my OB and midwife visits is absolutely ASTOUNDING. Midwives spend so much more time with you and get to know you as a person, whereas my experience with OB's has been rushed and they only spend about 5 minutes (if that) interacting with you. Additionally, my midwife will be present for my entire labor, unlike an OB who only comes in every once in a while and/or right at the last moment. So I'm very glad about all of that! I was also informed that I am the perfect pregnant person .... and that the world will probably not notice that I'm pregnant until THIRTY WEEKS! I wonder if I should keep this pregnancy under wraps until 30 weeks? Just kidding guys.... I'm sure it's going to be a shock enough for people to find out that I'm already in the second trimester when we inform them!
They also refilled my Zofran and warned that my pregnancy nausea might continue as late as 18 weeks or for the remainder of my pregnancy.... (oh joy!) but we'll just have to see. I've tried to not take it on some days and I start feeling very sick. As soon as I take it, it's amazing how much better I feel because there's no nausea within 30 minutes of the tablet dissolving. So I have a 30 day supply with 2 refills.
We also registered for our natural childbirth prep class, our waterbirth prep class, and the hospital tour in August and September, so we're all squared away there!
So all in all, a good day. My next appointment is in 4 weeks, at almost 17 weeks pregnant.

Comments