14 weeks today!

14 weeks today! The little icon of the pregnant woman with how far along I am makes me laugh... she looks like a little pregnant lady (she actually grows with time) and I still look like I am anything but pregnant. Still haven't gained anything, still holding.... which is fine, but I'd like to see SOME gain by my 17 week appointment!

Yesterday was R-O-U-G-H. It started out okay... I went to pick up my former charge, Shannon, from her summer school program and we had lunch. I took her home and hung out with Shannon and John (her younger brother) for a little bit, and then had to leave to make my audiology appointment in Buckhead. Around then was when I started feeling queasy. I was scheduled to meet my friend Susan for dinner... I adore Susan and haven't seen her in over a year! We keep in touch via text and email, so we have stayed up to date with each other but we were both really looking forward to hanging out. Within 10 minutes of sitting down, I started having extremely severe nausea and hot flashes.... which is a first in this pregnancy. Hot flashes? Really?! I was sucking down an ice cold Coke trying to focus on deep breathing through the nausea. I ended up having to leave before we had even ordered, which I felt terrible about, but Susan was very understanding. I came home and immediately took Zofran and collapsed on the couch. ::sigh:: The one positive thing is that I didn't actually throw up! Although I'm still sad that I didn't get to eat my triple fish roll last night. :(

So, a week from today we will be telling our family members, which is super exciting but I also am not looking forward to it at the same time. It's been nice only having Ethan and I know about our child, AND it's also been great not having anyone else say anything... it seems like once the "world" knows you're pregnant they feel like they can say whatever they want. "Should you be eating that?" "Should you really be drinking that?" "All you have to do for morning sickness is _____". "Don't do this/that." "Don't pick up anything heavier than a fork! It will hurt the baby!" "Well, you guys are going to have to move because your place isn't big enough for three!" Oh, and then my favorite...."How are you feeling?" in the most sympathetic voice possible. I'm pregnant....not sick with a terminal disease. :)

I feel like a brat for saying this because I really do know that most people will say some variation of one of the above out of pure love and concern...but I really want people to restrict what they say to the following: "Congratulations!" I don't want advice or opinions on anything. I am a 30 year old woman who is perfectly capable of making her own decisions, and I don't make any decision when it comes to the health of my baby or myself lightly. So, if I want to drink Coca-Cola or eat sushi, or eat a sandwich with deli meat, judge me if you want. But judge silently. This is our baby and my pregnancy. I just want to experience it without interference from outside parties. That being said, if I find myself in need of advice or an opinion, I will certainly ask! ::steps off soapbox::

Now, some positive things!

(1) Ethan is off today and tomorrow...it's so nice to have my husband home with me for two whole days.
(2) Stroller arrives Monday! Yay! (hopefully in one piece....)
(3) We're having breakfast for dinner tonight....brioche French toast with super crispy bacon and OJ...
(4) We're going to IKEA tonight to check out some baby cribs... we want some with wheels on the bottom, so Ethan is going to see if he can doctor an IKEA crib to be exactly what we want.

Comments

Popular Posts