Cloth diapering resources...
It is ridiculously late right now. My husband convinced me to "just lay down for a 30 minute nap" with him which turned into much longer than 30 minutes. So, I am nowhere near tired right now. I figured I would just hop on the blog and write a new post.
I've gotten several emails over the last week asking me for resources when it comes to cloth diapering and which kind of diapers I've decided to use. Instead of responding to each person individually, I decided to blog about it. I really feel the need to make sure that everyone knows that this is NEW to me... this is one of the few baby-related things that I don't have experience with. So, don't take my selections as the standard to go by... I chose what we have based on a lot of research and time will tell if it was the right choice for us!
Where to buy cloth diapers:
If you want to buy brand new, cottonbabies.com, diaperjunction.com, squishytushy.com, shop.thegoodmama.com, and even Amazon are great to check out. Be forewarned that Goodmama diapers are EXPENSIVE. As in $35+. They are not for everyone!
If you're interested in buying barely used diapers for a fraction of the cost (great option for saving money on some of the workhorse diapers like Goodmamas), re-diaper.com, diaperswappers.com, hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/ are awesome places to look for building your fluff stash! Some sellers have never even used their diapers because they decided that cloth diapering wasn't going to work for them, or they had multiples of a diaper that ended up not working very well for their family. It may sound gross to use "used" diapers, but honestly....there's nothing that bleach and hot water can't remedy. The savings are well worth it for a lot of folks.
So far, I've spent just under $300 for cloth diapers, wipes, and accessories. I've slowly been ordering things since a couple of months ago. Considering that most parents spend around $2,000 per year on diapers, wipes, and creams, I think we're doing pretty well! The total amount will probably be closer to $500 when all is said and done, because we will have to make decisions about which diapers to use from 10 pounds and up and then buy more of whatever we decide on. However, when we have Baby Ridge 2.0, 3.0, 4.0?.....(haha), we'll be able to re-use our diapers, thus saving even more money over the long-term.
As for the specific diapers I plan to use:
For the newborn stage, we'll probably use disposable newborn diapers until the umbilical cord stump falls off. Several moms here in Atlanta who cloth diaper (including our doula) suggested this, so that's what we think we'll end up doing. Still not 100% decided on that though! I may decide to do it right away, but it will really depend on how long Baby Ridges' torso is. I definitely don't want to irritate the area with cloth diapers that may rise up too high.
Once we do start- we will be using primarily unbleached Indian cotton pre-folds with Thirsties duo wrap covers with and without hemp inserts as doublers for extra absorbency. We have a couple of fitted diapers that we'll try out and see. We have roughly 36 pre-fold diapers, and a bunch of inserts. We'll need to wash every other day or so in order to ensure that we have clean diapers on hand since newborns go through 12-15 diapers per day. Pre-folds with covers are the least expensive cloth diapering route. Each diaper is usually less than $2, and Thirsties covers can be found for $10 or less. Covers don't have to be changed with every diaper since they are made out of PUL and can simply be wiped clean in most cases. So, having 5-6 covers is totally sufficient.
Once Baby Ridge is big enough (8-10 pounds or so) we have a few all-in-one one sized diapers (BumGenius & Goodmama) that we'll try. Depending on how we like those, we may expand our stash to include more of those. If we really like pre-folds, we'll buy the next size up. We also have a lot of one size hemp inserts to be used with prefolds or alone as a stuffer for some pocket diapers. As babies grow older, they use less diapers daily (5-6), so having 36+ diapers on hand won't be a necessity anymore. We're really going to be experimenting along the way to see what we like best and what works for us the best... and I am sure that I will be posting about our experiences with specific diapers down the line! I had no idea that so many people were interested in cloth diapering their kiddos, but I'm all about sharing whatever knowledge I gain because I know I've been reading plenty of other blogs about cloth diapering myself in attempt to learn all that I can!
I've gotten several emails over the last week asking me for resources when it comes to cloth diapering and which kind of diapers I've decided to use. Instead of responding to each person individually, I decided to blog about it. I really feel the need to make sure that everyone knows that this is NEW to me... this is one of the few baby-related things that I don't have experience with. So, don't take my selections as the standard to go by... I chose what we have based on a lot of research and time will tell if it was the right choice for us!
Where to buy cloth diapers:
If you want to buy brand new, cottonbabies.com, diaperjunction.com, squishytushy.com, shop.thegoodmama.com, and even Amazon are great to check out. Be forewarned that Goodmama diapers are EXPENSIVE. As in $35+. They are not for everyone!
If you're interested in buying barely used diapers for a fraction of the cost (great option for saving money on some of the workhorse diapers like Goodmamas), re-diaper.com, diaperswappers.com, hyenacart.com/Spots_corner/ are awesome places to look for building your fluff stash! Some sellers have never even used their diapers because they decided that cloth diapering wasn't going to work for them, or they had multiples of a diaper that ended up not working very well for their family. It may sound gross to use "used" diapers, but honestly....there's nothing that bleach and hot water can't remedy. The savings are well worth it for a lot of folks.
So far, I've spent just under $300 for cloth diapers, wipes, and accessories. I've slowly been ordering things since a couple of months ago. Considering that most parents spend around $2,000 per year on diapers, wipes, and creams, I think we're doing pretty well! The total amount will probably be closer to $500 when all is said and done, because we will have to make decisions about which diapers to use from 10 pounds and up and then buy more of whatever we decide on. However, when we have Baby Ridge 2.0, 3.0, 4.0?.....(haha), we'll be able to re-use our diapers, thus saving even more money over the long-term.
As for the specific diapers I plan to use:
For the newborn stage, we'll probably use disposable newborn diapers until the umbilical cord stump falls off. Several moms here in Atlanta who cloth diaper (including our doula) suggested this, so that's what we think we'll end up doing. Still not 100% decided on that though! I may decide to do it right away, but it will really depend on how long Baby Ridges' torso is. I definitely don't want to irritate the area with cloth diapers that may rise up too high.
Once we do start- we will be using primarily unbleached Indian cotton pre-folds with Thirsties duo wrap covers with and without hemp inserts as doublers for extra absorbency. We have a couple of fitted diapers that we'll try out and see. We have roughly 36 pre-fold diapers, and a bunch of inserts. We'll need to wash every other day or so in order to ensure that we have clean diapers on hand since newborns go through 12-15 diapers per day. Pre-folds with covers are the least expensive cloth diapering route. Each diaper is usually less than $2, and Thirsties covers can be found for $10 or less. Covers don't have to be changed with every diaper since they are made out of PUL and can simply be wiped clean in most cases. So, having 5-6 covers is totally sufficient.
Once Baby Ridge is big enough (8-10 pounds or so) we have a few all-in-one one sized diapers (BumGenius & Goodmama) that we'll try. Depending on how we like those, we may expand our stash to include more of those. If we really like pre-folds, we'll buy the next size up. We also have a lot of one size hemp inserts to be used with prefolds or alone as a stuffer for some pocket diapers. As babies grow older, they use less diapers daily (5-6), so having 36+ diapers on hand won't be a necessity anymore. We're really going to be experimenting along the way to see what we like best and what works for us the best... and I am sure that I will be posting about our experiences with specific diapers down the line! I had no idea that so many people were interested in cloth diapering their kiddos, but I'm all about sharing whatever knowledge I gain because I know I've been reading plenty of other blogs about cloth diapering myself in attempt to learn all that I can!

Comments