Product Review Series: Kawaii Heavy Wetter Overnight Diapers
This is the third post in our Product Review Series which will run every Saturday through July 7th. As a reminder: the products in this series were purchased by us for our use and no compensation was received from the companies who make them. I'm just a mom sharing objective and unbiased reviews on some fabulous products for babies that I think everyone should know about!
The product up for review today is:
Kawaii Baby Heavy Wetter Overnight Diaper
If you're not a cloth diapering parent, you may not be interested in this review. However, even if you don't cloth diaper and have a heavy wetter at night, I suggest checking this out anyway.... those overnight disposable diapers you buy could easily be replaced by this one!
Lily is what we call a heavy wetter. She soaks through diapers quickly. No one could ever think she was deyhrated. During the day we change her about every 2-3 hours. Cloth diapers can be tricky to figure out: sometimes you can't tell when she's wet or not!
At night, I really prefer not to change a baby if I don't have to since all the movement and exposure to colder air can wake them and then they won't sleep as well. We experimented with tons of different options but we were getting leaks. Goodmama Goodnights fitted with a Thirsties cover were our go to - but unless Lily is getting a bath or going swimming the next day, I don't really like to use these since the entire thing completely saturates (as it is designed to do!) and then her skin that is in contact with the fitted smells. I suppose I could use a washcloth, but Goodmama Goodnights are $38 brand new! I definitely wanted a more cost effective way for the overnight diaper solution. We had some leaking issues, and then Lily would wake up mad, cold, and wet. I always have backup sheets and sleepsacks on hand, so getting her comfortable again never took long - Ethan would change her into a dry diaper/clothes while I would change the sheet. Fortunately I think we've only had to do that three times in her entire life! However, I didn't want it to become a trend, so I set off in search of the perfect overnight diaper.
(For what it's worth - I would much rather have small leaks than having to clean up the mess from disposable diapers that explode from too much liquid....and I've been there with previous charges! It is sooooo gross.)
After tons of research and discussion with other moms in my cloth diapering community, I decided to order a Kawaii Baby Heavy Wetters Overnight diaper. The cover is a bit different than my other pockets because of the material it is made from. My other pockets are made from PUL, and Kawaii Baby makes its covers from TPU. The difference in the Kawaii covers due to TPU construction is very noticeable as far as fabric softness and flexibility compared to my Bumgenius pockets and Freetimes. I ordered from www.thanksmama.com (excellent customer service, by the way) and the diaper was only $10.95. I ordered the cute animal print below that would be considered unisex since I plan to use all the cloth diapers we own with future kids!
![]() |
| The cover and one of the inserts |
When the diaper arrived, it arrived with 2 microfiber inserts. It stated to use both for overnight, but that made it extremely bulky! The Kawaii Baby diaper is a pocket diaper, which means you stuff it with the inserts of your choice. If you didn't want to use the included inserts, you could just customize your inserts. Since microfiber is a synthetic fabric, it only requires one washing to be fully prepped unlike the 8 times that natural fibers require for maximum absorbency. The inserts that came with it were by FAR the thickest and fluffiest I have ever seen and literally three times thicker than the other inserts I had. Here's a photo for comparison.
![]() |
| On the left is a BumGenius microfiber insert, on the right is the Kawaii Baby Overnight insert |
![]() |
| Unstuffed Kawaii Baby cover interior |
![]() |
| Stuffed Kawaii Baby cover exterior |
To the right is a stuffed Kawaii diaper completely ready to go for use. Lily currently wears hers snapped on the second rise. Some people don't like pockets or the idea of them because they think it's too much work. I can assure you it is NOT that much work and doesn't take a lot of time. I prestuff all of my pockets and have them waiting and ready to go. All we do is pull one out of our basket during a diaper change...it takes the same amount of time as pulling a disposable one out of the stack. Stuffing diapers only takes a few minutes. A trip to Target less than a mile away takes much longer than it takes me to stuff all of Lily's diapers. Lily has been able to wear this diaper for 14 hours with zero leaks. She's usually in her overnight diapers for at least 12 hours. We have had no issues with leaking since we determined the best way to snap the diaper for her.
DRAWBACKS:
(1) Limited prints available, no solid colors currently for the Heavy Wetters. I should note that this isn't a drawback for us since you don't even see the diaper on her except when you're putting it on. It's all covered up by her pajamas and sleep sack....and she's asleep. It's strictly an overnight diaper for us!
(2) The microfiber insert is HUGE even with just one insert....so your child will look a little awkward in it! MAJOR "big diaper butt" look with these, to the point that it's comical. Lastly, as with any brand of cloth diaper, this may not work for your child and the only way to find out for sure is to try it. At $10.95 per diaper, I can only assume most people wouldn't find it cost-prohibitive.
Is it worth it?
Honestly, $10.95 for a pocket diaper that is brand new is one of the least expensive options out on the market. The affordability of it makes it easy to try it. If it doesn't work as an overnight diaper for you, you still have the cover which can be used as a day diaper since pockets can be stuffed with the inserts of your choice, or you could sell it used. We ended up purchasing 2 more in dot prints to keep it unisex, and we use these with the 2 Goodmama Goodnights that we own. Since we wash our diapers twice per week, it keeps us sufficiently covered. We did have a couple of leaks in the beginning using these diapers, but it was totally user error and once we figured out the best way to snap them for Lily, it was smooth sailing. With all cloth diapers, there's a bit of a learning curve in figuring out the best way to put them on your child. I would recommend these to anyone interested in a super absorbent overnight diaper based on our positive experience with Kawaii Baby!




