Mother's Day
Dear Mom,
This is the first mother's day I'm celebrating as a mom with my own baby girl in my arms. Someday Lily will painstakingly make me a card and get her daddy to take her to the store to pick out a gift with her hard earned money. On Mother's Day, she will make a mess in the kitchen to put together breakfast in bed. I remember doing that for you. It makes me smile to think that my hand drawn card and inexpensive gift from Wal-Mart was my offering to you and that I somehow thought it could "repay you" for pouring your life into us. You received our cards and gifts with a big smile and hugs and made us feel so important, and so talented.
Now that I am a mother, I know how you felt, and now I understand. I understand how hard you fought for me, and why you willingly did so without a second thought or regard for yourself. I understand the numerous sacrifices you willingly made, and still make for us. I understand how your heart hurt when one of us was in pain. I understand all the things you said "no" to me for, and that your decisions were for my own good. I'm sorry for all the times I was a brat and didn't trust you were doing what was best for me. You were, and still are, breathtakingly beautiful and strong. Thank you for being the best mother you could ever have been to me. In doing so, you taught me to be the best mom I can be to my own daughter. I love you. You're the world's best mom....and Lily thinks you're the world's best Gramie too.
Now that I am a mother, I know how you felt, and now I understand. I understand how hard you fought for me, and why you willingly did so without a second thought or regard for yourself. I understand the numerous sacrifices you willingly made, and still make for us. I understand how your heart hurt when one of us was in pain. I understand all the things you said "no" to me for, and that your decisions were for my own good. I'm sorry for all the times I was a brat and didn't trust you were doing what was best for me. You were, and still are, breathtakingly beautiful and strong. Thank you for being the best mother you could ever have been to me. In doing so, you taught me to be the best mom I can be to my own daughter. I love you. You're the world's best mom....and Lily thinks you're the world's best Gramie too.
Love,
Lauren
![]() |










Comments