26 weeks/6 months
We officially have a six month old. It's so exciting to think about how fast the past six months have gone and that the next six will go even more quickly, and we'll have a one year old!
So, now for the monthly report....
At 6 months old, Lily is sitting up for longer periods of time (up to 1 minute) and can bend and reach for things from a seated position. In the photos above, she's sitting up without her back touching the seats. She is still working on mastering crawling, and "gets" it sometimes but the coordination hasn't gelled in her brain. We give her a lot of floor time, demonstrations (yes, we crawl around for her), as well as physical manipulation of her legs and arms, so it will happen soon! Lily continues to "talk" a lot, and we do a lot of verbal labeling with her. I'm starting her alphabet cards this month for sight recognition....it will take months, but it will give her a great foundation for reading!
Lily is also super ticklish in certain spots (no, I'm not telling, it's just for me to know) and makes us both laugh so hard when she laughs. She is so much fun, and such a happy baby. She rarely fusses or cries. We still get a lot of attention when we're out with her, because she's so smiley and people continue to tell us how beautiful she is. One lady in Target almost started to cry when Lily "talked" to her and then flashed her a big grin. She told me she'd been going through some really rough stuff, and that Lily's interaction had been just what she needed at that moment. I don't know exactly what her story was, but it doesn't matter. It makes me happy to see my little girl bringing so much joy to others, and it's amazing to see how God uses even the smallest of us to show His love.
Lily is the master of the fake cry. She's really good at it too. Even though she knows we're not going to give in, she tries it anyway, and sneaks little looks to see if we're paying attention. It's actually quite hilarious to see. Her REAL cry is pitiful though, and the face she makes is so, so sad. We attend to her needs right away when we hear that one since it's pretty rare.
Lily has discovered dogs, and LOVES them. She will pet them gently and smiles and coos. Mo has two dogs, so she's around them quite a bit but it took a while for her to really notice them. She also loves her Minnie A's chihuahua, Hepburn. Minnie E has a new puppy, Primrose, and Lily was giggling when Prim was licking her feet last weekend.
As I mentioned in a previous post, Lily is still in few of her 6 month rompers and dresses, but has moved on to 9+ month sizes, including some 12-18 month clothing. I'm having way too much fun dressing her in the cute clothes she has been given and that I have bought for her.
No solids, and no plans to start. People are seriously way too obsessed with this. Why does it matter so much to others if my child is or isn't eating purees? I don't care if your baby started eating rice cereal at 4 months and was perfectly fine. I am not taking that risk. Babies should not be getting anything except breast milk (or formula) until a minimum of 6 months of age. I really wish more people would do the research to make an informed decision instead of going with what their relatives did decades ago or with what their pediatricians say. Pediatricians get little to no training in nutrition, by the way. I already knew this from one pediatrician (for my charges) bluntly telling me that she only had to do a two hour online module class on general nutrition. For this reason, she wasn't comfortable giving advice on solids, but that she would gladly refer us to a pediatric nutritionist. Simply put: pediatricians aren't experts by a long shot in the area of nutrition, and shouldn't be giving advice on it. My mom taught my sister and I to never just accept information (from anyone - not just doctors) without getting a second opinion and conducting lots of our own research. When it comes to the best interests of Lily, you can bet your bottom dollar I do just that! :) Once Lily can sit up completely unassisted for several minutes at a time, we'll think about putting some chunks of food in front of her. She continues to nurse 7-8 times per 24 hour period, and we're getting a lot of 2.5 hour stretches in between feedings. Sometimes we go 3 hours, but that's not the norm.
Bedtime is between 7-7:30, depending on when her third nap ended. She's still waking once in the night to nurse between 4-5 AM (after 8-9 hours of sleep), and continues to be a late sleeper. The time has shifted to 9 AM, but I'm working on moving it earlier this week since school is out for the summer next Friday. I'm not going to lie....I'm going to miss the freedom to sleep in and/or take a nap when she does!
![]() |
| Laughing at her mama |
![]() |
| Sitting up at full height and towering over the rabbit! |
So, now for the monthly report....
At 6 months old, Lily is sitting up for longer periods of time (up to 1 minute) and can bend and reach for things from a seated position. In the photos above, she's sitting up without her back touching the seats. She is still working on mastering crawling, and "gets" it sometimes but the coordination hasn't gelled in her brain. We give her a lot of floor time, demonstrations (yes, we crawl around for her), as well as physical manipulation of her legs and arms, so it will happen soon! Lily continues to "talk" a lot, and we do a lot of verbal labeling with her. I'm starting her alphabet cards this month for sight recognition....it will take months, but it will give her a great foundation for reading!
Lily is also super ticklish in certain spots (no, I'm not telling, it's just for me to know) and makes us both laugh so hard when she laughs. She is so much fun, and such a happy baby. She rarely fusses or cries. We still get a lot of attention when we're out with her, because she's so smiley and people continue to tell us how beautiful she is. One lady in Target almost started to cry when Lily "talked" to her and then flashed her a big grin. She told me she'd been going through some really rough stuff, and that Lily's interaction had been just what she needed at that moment. I don't know exactly what her story was, but it doesn't matter. It makes me happy to see my little girl bringing so much joy to others, and it's amazing to see how God uses even the smallest of us to show His love.
Lily is the master of the fake cry. She's really good at it too. Even though she knows we're not going to give in, she tries it anyway, and sneaks little looks to see if we're paying attention. It's actually quite hilarious to see. Her REAL cry is pitiful though, and the face she makes is so, so sad. We attend to her needs right away when we hear that one since it's pretty rare.
Lily has discovered dogs, and LOVES them. She will pet them gently and smiles and coos. Mo has two dogs, so she's around them quite a bit but it took a while for her to really notice them. She also loves her Minnie A's chihuahua, Hepburn. Minnie E has a new puppy, Primrose, and Lily was giggling when Prim was licking her feet last weekend.
As I mentioned in a previous post, Lily is still in few of her 6 month rompers and dresses, but has moved on to 9+ month sizes, including some 12-18 month clothing. I'm having way too much fun dressing her in the cute clothes she has been given and that I have bought for her.
No solids, and no plans to start. People are seriously way too obsessed with this. Why does it matter so much to others if my child is or isn't eating purees? I don't care if your baby started eating rice cereal at 4 months and was perfectly fine. I am not taking that risk. Babies should not be getting anything except breast milk (or formula) until a minimum of 6 months of age. I really wish more people would do the research to make an informed decision instead of going with what their relatives did decades ago or with what their pediatricians say. Pediatricians get little to no training in nutrition, by the way. I already knew this from one pediatrician (for my charges) bluntly telling me that she only had to do a two hour online module class on general nutrition. For this reason, she wasn't comfortable giving advice on solids, but that she would gladly refer us to a pediatric nutritionist. Simply put: pediatricians aren't experts by a long shot in the area of nutrition, and shouldn't be giving advice on it. My mom taught my sister and I to never just accept information (from anyone - not just doctors) without getting a second opinion and conducting lots of our own research. When it comes to the best interests of Lily, you can bet your bottom dollar I do just that! :) Once Lily can sit up completely unassisted for several minutes at a time, we'll think about putting some chunks of food in front of her. She continues to nurse 7-8 times per 24 hour period, and we're getting a lot of 2.5 hour stretches in between feedings. Sometimes we go 3 hours, but that's not the norm.
Bedtime is between 7-7:30, depending on when her third nap ended. She's still waking once in the night to nurse between 4-5 AM (after 8-9 hours of sleep), and continues to be a late sleeper. The time has shifted to 9 AM, but I'm working on moving it earlier this week since school is out for the summer next Friday. I'm not going to lie....I'm going to miss the freedom to sleep in and/or take a nap when she does!



Comments